Naturally Blonde

I'm blonde. What's your excuse?

I may play the fool at times but I'm a little more than just a pretty blonde girl with an ass that won't quit.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Comeback Kids

At least that's what my mom calls us.

And by us, I mean me and all of the girls I stay in touch with from high school.

The meaning of our new-fangled nickname is simple. We have all graduated from college and are back to living at home. We all have full time jobs and are rather self-sufficient other then our inability to live on our own. So I guess that doesn't make us self-sufficient at all.

Now, for over a year, I felt as though I was all alone in the Comeback Kid world. I had a job, but wasn't making squat for a long time and could barely afford to pay on my loans let alone any form of rent. That's not to mention my car payments, phone payments and the occasional bar tab. Does at least twice a week count as occasional?

Anyway, little did I know, that some old friends from high school were in a very similar situation. I am not alone!

Sure, one of my friends made a go of it on U Street for a few months before imminently moving back again. And another friend is in med school at GW and has her own place, but I figure that doesn't count since she's still in school. It makes no difference to me that she's going to be able to save my life one day.

My question is this: Is this normal? Am I in a bubble where only a select few underacheivers are doing this as the norm? Or could it be that the majority of my graduating class is in the same boat?

Almost everyone I have worked with at my full-time jobs has their own place, but most of these people are from out of town. In a situation like that, you don't have a choice. Of course in my situation, I don't have a choice either.

I'm simply not making enough money. Granted, I will be one day, but until then, am I just burdening my loving family by being horribly average?

With my loans, my car, my phone, and newly acquired hospital and dental bills, I don't see myself moving for awhile. And don't even get me started on the three weddings I am involved in during the latter part of this year.

My delusions of grandeur about saving money keep being pushed aside as time goes on. So what gives? Is this what adult-hood is really all about? I didn't sign up for this.

Unfortunately it seems that this is the case for most people. Scraping each paycheck for bills until you are sucked bone dry and crying in a corner.

I think I need to spend the little money I do have to go hunting for a rich husband. I hear Chris Cooley makes a lot of money, you know, or Jake Gyllenhaal, or you know, Madonna.

Either that, or I need to put my random and limited talents to good use. Write a best-selling book that gets made into an Oscar winning motion picture starring the always lovely and loveable Dame Judi Dench? Maybe. Become a rock star with devoted fans and a large following of meerkat activists? Perhaps. Campaign for Angelina Jolie to adopt me? Why the heck not? Work my way up the corporate ladder and make money on my own? Sure...

Oh who am I kidding? Like that last one is actually feasible.

1 Comments:

Blogger B said...

I like that name: "Comeback Kids". It's very clever. Keep up the good blogging. ;)

12:44 AM, March 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home